At Boronia Heights Primary School our differentiated classroom program is the ideal model for consistently extending and challenging children. Students with high abilities also benefit from opportunities to meet and work with like-minded peers on specific programs. Our school offers a range of special programs including the following:
- The Victorian High-Ability Program (VHAP) – this virtual program, delivered by Virtual School Victoria, focuses on extending and developing students’ Mathematic and English abilities. Students are centrally selected by the department based on student academic performance.
- Victorian Challenge and Enrichment Series (VCES) – a series of high-quality, funded extension activities across all areas of the curriculum. Classroom teachers, in consultation with the High Abilities Practise Leader (HAPL) nominate students to participate in activities based on their abilities and interests.
- Maths Olympiad – a Mathematical competition for high achieving students in the area of Mathematics that focuses on the students’ ability to solve mathematical problems in a creative manner – as opposed to simply reaching a solution using a prescribed method. Students are selected for this program by their teachers, in consultation with the Maths Olympiad coordinator, and compete against schools across Australia and New Zealand.
- Extension groups – High ability students from Years 3 – 6 are also selected by their teachers, to work with the High Ability Practise Leader (HAPL) on Mathematical concepts to extend and challenge their skills in Numbers and Algebra.
Students are given the opportunity to enter state and national competitions in Maths, English, Science and Writing. Teachers promote these and many students participate with enthusiasm.
Sessional teachers offer individual tuition to students in singing and a variety of instruments including:
- Singing / Vocal
Camps & Excursions
A sequential camping program is in operation. The program provides children with the following opportunities:
- A three day camp in Year 4 with an environmental theme
- A three day camp in Year 5 to support our Australian History Unit
- A three day camp for Year 6 which is an outdoor adventure camp
The program aims to provide children with experiences in different environments and activities which aid social and physical development encouraging responsibility and independence.
Excursions are arranged for all children and are carefully planned so that they enhance and enrich the learning programs provided by the teacher.